“E. Keeler Company”, a Williamsport presence for about 130 years, began in 1864 as the West Branch Boiler Works, but changed their name to E. Keeler and Company in the 1870s.
The Sol Wolf Manuscript Collection is housed at the Lycoming County Historical Society. He was well-known as the head football coach of the Williamsport High School. He once used Knute Rockne as a job reference.
The Taber Museum owns a very stylish automobile, a 1926 Studebaker five passenger Sedan, courtesy of James and Pat Messner. The car was owned and restored by Jim’s father, the late Fred Messner.
Sylvania Products began in 1924, making radio tubes in the Emporium, PA area. By 1942, they had gotten into the photography flash business, and opened a plant in Montoursville for developing, testing, and manufacturing flashbulbs, and later flashcubes, used all over the world.
In 1947, at the Karlton Theater on Pine Street, Williamsport, approximately 20 young women competed in the Miss Greater Williamsport pageant. The winner was Dorothy Gresh, who graduated from Williamsport High School that very year. She went on to the Miss Pennsylvania pageant.
While many of the typical Memorial Day gatherings will be altered this year, nothing will stop the remembrance of those who gave all in service of their country - those like Paul B. Free and Billy O. Brandt.
Bobblehead figures go back hundreds of years, but the pop culture wave of the 1950s and beyond brought increased popularity, with baseball leading the way.
After automobiles achieved wide popularity in the early 20th century, it didn’t take long for toy cars to make their appearance. But kids didn’t have to wait for toy companies; they could make their own cars out of wooden crates and roller-skate wheels.
Etta Alice Neff enrolled and graduated from the Rochester General Hospital Nursing School and was almost immediately sent to Vichy, France during World War I. Not only was war raging, but the outbreak of the deadly Spanish Influenza had erupted. We don't know about the trials and tribulations she faced! Let's preserve our memories of our experiences in Covid-19.
We have quite an array of 19th and early 20th century medical equipment in our collection, much of it used by Dr. G. Alvin Poust of Hughesville (one of the co-founders of Muncy Valley Hospital).
Nellie Tallman! Her 1870 portrait is arguably the most well-known individual artifact in our Museum; when people recall their visits, they usually remember “the model trains, and the haunted painting of the girl.”
Haircuts are on many people’s minds these days, so here is a barber chair from our 20th Century Gallery. This was the chair of Williamsport barber Ron DeSanto.
Radios like the ones pictured here occupied a treasured spot in many people’s homes. The radio in the lower left belonged to Dr. Marshall Welch, a local orthodontist, Korean War veteran, and philanthropist.
Though it may look like an artifact, the large item pictured here is not actually part of the museum’s collection – it’s our boiler, tucked away in our basement! We do have a collection of plumbing equipment given to us by Ralph Mills.
The Victorian Era within Williamsport was carried to a conspicuous and ostentatious display of wealth as many men prospered during the Lumber Era.
This chair from the Park Theater is not only a relic of that particular building; it is also a relic from a time when towns had many movie theaters – not quite one on every corner, but certainly more than you typically find now.
So far, during the COVID-19 shutdown, the staff and volunteers at the Taber Museum have been doing most of the work to keep you entertained. But, now, it is your turn!
Behind the cell door in our 20th Century Gallery sits William Hummel, one of the most notorious villains in Lycoming County history.
When the Museum reopens, we will hastily be working on installing a few improvements to our exhibits in the Hall of Farming, Craft and Industry. One of the improvements will be an upgrade to an exploration of the liquid refreshments that many Lycoming Countians have enjoyed.
Lycoming County’s dominant lumber industry led to many related businesses, including a number of construction companies. One such company was the Vallamont Planing Mill, founded by J. C. Winter in 1891.
We, at the Lycoming County Historical Society, sincerely apologize for the continuation of the museum’s closure. We can’t wait to see you! And well, frankly, we aren’t as welcoming to all of our visitors.
This Durrwachter Bakery delivery wagon sits in our 20th Century gallery. Various Durrwachters have fulfilled a whole range of roles in the county’s history, from bakers and dairy farmers, to doctors, to a County Commissioner.
Clarence Charles Hart taught at the Williamsport Commercial College for twenty-four years. In addition to teaching, Hart hand-lettered hundreds of diplomas awarded by the Williamsport High School and schools in the surrounding communities of Ralston, Hughesville, Jersey Shore, Muncy and Montgomery.
One of the more notable landmarks in Williamsport is Brandon Park. Marjorie Rosser took her memories of Brandon Park and made this spectacular quilt around 1990, probably in celebration of its 100th anniversary.
This figure representing Madame Montour stands overlooking our Native American Gallery. This figure’s clothing shows the blending of cultures in Madame Montour’s time: the aesthetic is Native American, but the fabrics are European.