The Lycoming County Historical Society publishes an annual journal, focusing on Lycoming County history. The Journal of the Lycoming County Historical Society is delivered to all members as a benefit.
The first issue of The Journal appeared in March of 1955, and The Journal has been published once or twice a year since that time. Earlier editions were simple publications. Recent editions are more elaborate, with a longer and more detailed articles and extensive use of photographs from the Taber Museum collection.
The Society has digitized The Journal; detailed descriptions of the content appear in the index. In February 2020, the Board of Governors approved the release of digital copies of the entire library of The Journal, beginning with first edition issued in 1955. Links to the digital version of each edition are found on edition's cover page. Start with the index page.
Journal articles focus on many aspects of life in our community. In the Winter 2016-17 edition, Dr. Christopher Pearl and Maggie Slawson wrote of the efforts of our neighbors during the Revolutionary War - efforts that have been overlooked as they fought from home and joined the struggle to protect their neighbors, their friends, and their kin from the ever present reality of raids by Britain’s Native American allies.
Marc Pompeo wrote, in the 2015-16 edition that featured local sports history, of Sol W. Wolf, the legendary head coach of the Williamsport High School football team from 1926-1930. The Winter 2014-15 edition focused on Lycoming at War and featured articles about local participation in Revolutionary, Civil and World War efforts.
Many of past editions of The Journal are available for purchase in the online store.