Recently, the moving team of Larry Fryda and Marc Pompeo, accompanied by Museum Director Gary Parks, journeyed to Chester County to retrieve a dining table that once belonged to William Hepburn. It was donated by Harold Matus and Karen Carski.
The table is an extension table which joins in the middle, with capability of expanding with the addition of a center leaf to fully accommodate 10-12 seated guests. A brass plaque affixed to the skirt of the table reads, “This Table belonged to/ WILLIAM HEPBURN/ Founder of Williamsport, PA./ Captain in the Revolution/ State Senator, President Judge/ Major General, Penna. Militia 1807”. The donors bought it at an antique store known as ‘Pidge’s’ a number of years ago.
At the moment, the table has been incorporated into the holiday exhibit, holding some of the exquisite silver from the Eccles Hall Collection. The exhibit continues through February 27 and then the table will be featured permanently in the Greek Revival Parlor. We are so fortunate to have this important artifact returned to Williamsport!