Lewisburg has always been a center of trade and culture as a river and canal town on the banks of the Susquehanna River. Once served by two railroads and a tiny airport, Lewisburg’s bridges and roads connected it to distant cities and rich hinterlands. Lewisburg grew from its layout in 1785 by Ludwig Derr to become the home of thriving businesses, elegant 18th- and 19th-century homes, and churches clustered on many of its corners. Along with adjacent Kelly and East Buffalo Townships, Lewisburg prospered on the backs of hardworking people with ideas, vision, and a willingness to take risks. Named as the Union County seat in 1855, Lewisburg today has the resources of a city but the charm of a small town surrounded by farms and fields.